Transgender communities are often marginalized and face several forms of discrimination in the society. Due to the stigma surrounding them they are denied jobs and often face unemployment and struggle to earn a sustainable livelihood. Due to lack of support from family members they suffer financially and are forced to take up jobs which are socially unacceptable.
The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act 2019 mandates the States to ensure equality and inclusiveness of Transgender community. In order to mainstream and uplift the Transgender community, the Department of Social Justice has formulated a new comprehensive scheme “Sakalyam” for imparting vocational training to Transgenders. The scheme aims to create employment opportunities for the deprived Transgender community.
• To provide skill development training that would equip the Transgender persons to earn steady income through self-employment.
• To build self-confidence among transgender community members and guide them to become eligible to avail employment opportunities and skilled jobs.
• Create transgender inclusive work environment and support them to be self-reliant.
• Under this scheme 10 Transgender persons will be selected from each district.
• The applicants can choose their own desired courses for which they require skill training.
• Priority will be given to Government Institutions imparting the courses.
• The applicants can also undergo training from Private agencies having Government accreditation.
• Educational qualification is not a criterion to join the courses.
|GOs||Sakalyam scheme for imparting vocational training to Transgenders|