The Department of Social Justice under Government of Kerala is the frontrunner in implementing various social welfare schemes and programmes for the upliftment of marginalized population. The Transgender community faces severe problems such as discrimination as well as infringement of rights and it is the responsibility of the Department to provide special privilege to such target groups, bring them to the mainstream of the society by ensuring social rehabilitation.
Due to lack of proper education and social stigma in society the Transgender community is also subjected to severe unemployment. Social Justice Department has rolled out an innovative scheme called “Sabhalam” that provides financial assistance to Transgender students pursuing Degree/Diploma level professional courses. This scheme would provide an opening to Transgender students who possess high technical/professional competence.
Those students who have qualified for such professional courses and suffer from financial constraints can continue their education uninterrupted which in turn would increase their employment opportunities and help them to secure a good job and thereby lead a quality life.
(1) Students who have completed 18 years must submit a copy of Transgender ID card.
(2) Those who are below 18 years must submit a self-declaration statement duly certified by the Head of Institution/Parent.
(3) A maximum amount of Rs. 1 lakh per year will be provided as financial assistance for eligible students.
(4) Students who have secured admission in merit seats in Government, Aided/Self-financing colleges are eligible under this scheme.
(5) Students who secure admission for courses MBBS, B.VSc, BSc Agriculture in Government colleges are eligible.
(6) Students pursuing Diploma level government accredited courses are also eligible.
(a) The Application forms have to be filled completely. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
(b) The duly filled applications along with supporting documents have to be submitted to the concerned District Social Justice Officers.
|GOs||Sabhalam scheme for TG persons pursuing Professional courses|
|Application Forms||Sabhalam scheme- Application form|