Social Justice Department under Government of Kerala is the frontrunner in implementing various welfare programmes for the upliftment and mainstreaming of Transgender persons. For ensuring inclusivity of such target population, the Department has successfully launched key initiatives under ‘Mazhavillu’ umbrella scheme. There are several Transgender students who are not able to study regular courses in colleges but instead pursue Degree/Post Graduate courses via distance education. Due to their deprived financial conditions they are unable to meet the expenses incurred for payment of Registration fee, Tuition fee, Exam fee and study materials, etc.
For supporting such students the Department has launched a scheme known as “Varnam” which provides financial assistance to Transgender students pursuing Degree/Diploma/ PG courses through distance education. A maximum amount of Rs. 24,000/- will be provided annually. For students pursuing PG courses the assistance will be provided for 2 years and for Under Graduate students the assistance will be given for 3 years.
Aims & Objectives
a) Majority of the transgender persons are either dropouts or discontinue education in early stages and due to the stigma the family members also disown them. Since they are unable to find a sustainable livelihood, they suffer financially. This scheme will support the transgender students to complete their education successfully and earn a decent living and make them financially independent.
b) With the help of this distance education scheme, the transgender students will be able to pursue their desired courses.
c) The Transgender persons who are eligible for higher studies can complete their education and secure a decent job to lead a dignified life. This will encourage them to be self-sufficient and will open up a world of opportunities for such target population.
1) The Application forms have to be filled completely. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
2) Applicant has to mention type of course and the name of University/Study centre in which the student is pursuing the course.
3) Copy of Transgender Identity card / self-declaration statement mentioning that the applicant is a Transgender person.
4) Copy of address proof (Aadhar/ Voter’s ID card)
5) Copy of previous semester examination hall ticket.
6) Transgender students pursuing courses from Open universities, Distance education or Private registration are eligible to apply.
7) The copy of bills/vouchers/receipts of registration fee, tuition fee, study materials, examination fees have to be duly certified by District Social Justice Officers.
8) The application form along with supporting documents has to be submitted through District Social Justice Offices concerned.
|GOs||Varnam -Financial aid for TG students pursuing distance education|
|Application Forms||Varnam -Financial aid for TG students pursuing distance education|